Relationships are important and key to affecting change. In our workplace, in our world, we are diverse people. Understanding other cultures and being culturally aware helps us to communicate better. Although there is debate regarding the language we use to describe our pursuit of cultural understanding, the focus here is on developing and enhancing our knowledge of the topic and obtaining the skills needed to work with our clients and families. Cultural Understanding and competence is the ability to understand and interact effectively across cultures and is critical because without it our opportunity to build effective relationships is not possible.
This course focuses on the role of culture and cultural understanding on the individual worker level as well as on the organizational level. We will distinguish issues of diversity, disparities, and potential implicit bias that may impede individual and organizational success in building helping relationships and providing culturally responsive and congruent services to individuals and families. This course will identify the role of organizational culture and the dynamics that influence organizational cultural competence and describe how the alignment of leadership, mission and values, assessment, design, strategy, and planning are all crucial elements of pursuing cultural understanding.
After completing this module, participants will be able to:
Identify a broad definition of culture
Define cultural competence and cultural humility
Describe the impact of disparities and inequities on different groups/families
Identify components of organizational culture
Explain how organizational culture can influence the way services are delivered and the way individuals experience services
- Identify next steps on their cultural competence journey
All cancellation/transfer requests must be in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and received by the Temple University Harrisburg staff before becoming effective.
**Please note: If a cancellation request is not made and the registrant does not attend the course as originally scheduled, the registrant is still responsible for payment for the scheduled course.
Cancellation requests received ten (10) business days or more prior to the start of the scheduled course will be eligible for a full refund of fees paid.
Cancellations received less than 10 business days prior to the start of the scheduled course will be subject to a cancellation fee of $30.00. Cancellations received less than three (3) business days prior to the start of the scheduled course will not be eligible for a refund.
TUH reserves the right to cancel continuing education events due to low enrollment.
In the event of inclement weather (applies to in-person classes only), Temple University Harrisburg will make every effort to cancel events with as much advance notice as possible. Notification will be sent via email/CE Systems once a decision to close or delay has been made. In all instances, TUH will follow the University’s cancellation decisions.
This course has been approved for 0.6 CEUs and 6 Social Work Continuing Education Hours. Temple University is a PA State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists, and Professional Counselors pre-approved provider of continuing education.
Certificates documenting continuing education hours will be issued by Temple University Harrisburg. Participants must request these certificates through the CE request form/process listed below.
Certificates of completion documenting satisfactory completion of the professional development course will be generated/issued through DestinyOne.
To obtain Continuing Education Hours/Units, please complete the following items:
- Pay the Continuing Education Fee of $20 (optional choice at check-out)
- Complete all required assignments in Canvas and obtain an 80% or higher for passing.
- Complete the CE Request Form (click blue hyperlink)
- Complete the Course Evaluation send out after you have completed the course. (include your name)
PrerequisitesIf obtaining the SFW Credential, Foundations of Strengths-based Practice is required before taking this course.
To successfully complete the training and activities, the materials needed/recommended are:
- Computer/Laptop (recommend 5 yrs. old or newer)
- Processor: 2.4 GHz or faster
- 4 GB of RAM
- Operating System: Windows 10
- Internet connection (1.5 Mbps-ok; 5 Mbps- better)
- Audio equipment (i.e., computer speakers)
- Web Browser - Google Chrome, recommended
- Software - Microsoft Office and Adobe Reader
Basic Computer Proficiency
- Using a keyboard and mouse
- Selecting, copying, pasting text
- Sending and receiving email
- Saving and retrieving files in different formats (.docx, .pdf, .pptx., etc.)
- Using a text editor (changing fonts, inserting links, using spell check, etc.)
- Browsing for files to attach and upload
- Accessing the Internet using a web browser and resetting basic web browser settings (clearing cache/history, cookies, etc.)