Engage in a hands-on process that will stimulate your imagination and enhance skills in drawing and painting—all grounded in art principles to aid making sound judgements for compositions in various media. Learn how to evaluate the role art principles play in good compositions including paintings, three-dimensional designs, and your own living space. Handouts will reinforce tips for self-expression. Information will be given for supplies needed prior to the start of the course.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Develop confidence in making sound judgments and discover hidden creativity for the novice, or to refresh skills.
- Become knowledgeable of the art principles of repetition, variation, contrast, balance, scale & proportion, rhythm, dominance & unity.
- Appreciate the design elements of form, space, line, depth, texture, pattern, color & light.
- Understand & evaluate the role the above plays in good composition in paintings, photography, three-dimensional designs, interior decorating, the garden, cityscapes, etc. (some of which is applicable to writing)
- Be exposed to a touch of art history for grounding.
- Engage in hands-on opportunities using the principles & elements in creating: (a) experimental collage, (b) imaginary art piece incorporating watercolors, (c) still-life drawing using pencil for shading to experience the play of light & how to achieve the illusion of depth, and (d)still-life painting that either documents the set-up and/or incorporates whimsy.
- Apply drawing and watercolor techniques.
- Develop fuller consciousness of their relationship to the spaces in which they conduct their lives.
- Encounter stimulation of their imagination.
- Experience a safe atmosphere in which to experiment.
- Ripen the artist within.