Individuals who are interested in becoming Personal Care Home Administrators in Pennsylvania can take the required 100 Hour program. According to statute PA 55 Section 2600.64 (a)(2) regarding administrator training and orientation: Prior to initial employment as an administrator a candidate shall successfully complete a 100 hour standardized (DHS) Department approved administrator training course.
Please note: You must apply for the program prior to completing the registration, please click on "Apply Now" to complete the online application. Upon approval, we will direct you back to this page to register and pay for the course.
Fall Personal Care Home Administrator 100 Hour Courses will be held in both Harrisburg and Philadelphia.
1. Course PCHA0027-002
Location: Temple University Center City Philadelphia
Date: Every Tuesday and Wednesday from November 12th, 2019 until February 4th, 2020
Time: 8:30AM until 5:30PM
2. Course PCHA0027-003
Location: Temple University Harrisburg
Date: Every Thursday from November 14th, 2019 until March 26th, 2020
Time: 8:30AM until 5:30PM
Program Fee: $1,475.00 paid at the time of registration (this includes final exam cost) Space will be limited, and registration will close once the class has reached capacity. Space cannot be held prior to receipt of the full program fee. Lunch is on your own.
Did you know?: 96.4%* of participants who complete Temple Harrisburg’s Personal Care Home Administrator 100 Hour Course PASS the state exam!
*Based on the pass/fail rate of state exams taken by Temple Harrisburg 100 Hour Course participants from 2014-2019.
Personal Care Home Administrator 100 Hour Course Modules:
Nutrition, Food Handling, and Sanitation
Resident Rights and Resident Home Contracts
Budgeting, Financial Record-keeping, Resident Records
CPR and First Aid - with certification
Fire Prevention & Emergency Preparedness
Care of Residents with Mental Illness
Staff Supervision and Staff Person Training
Community Resources, Social Services, and Activities in the Community
Care for Residents with Developmental Disabilities
Writing, Completing and Implementing Initial Assessments and Support Plans
Personal Care/Personal Hygiene
Medication Procedures, Medication Effects, and Side Effects and Standard Precautions
Abuse and Neglect Prevention
ORIENTATION SCHEDULE: (MANDATORY AND OFFERED BY DHS)
This orientation is offered through DHS. It is a free, mandatory, 6-hour program that must be completed before, during, or after the 100 Hour Training and exam in order to become a Personal Care Home Administrator. Registration is required and fills up quickly. View the full orientation schedule by clicking on the link: DHS Orientation Schedule
Course Cancellation Policies
1. Weather-Related Cancellations: In all instances, Temple University Harrisburg is required to follow the University’s cancellation decisions. TUH will make every effort to provide as much advanced notice as possible. Notification will be sent via email/DestinyOne system email if a decision to close or delay has been made.
2. Cancellations Due to Low Enrollment: Temple University Harrisburg reserves the right to cancel continuing education events due to low enrollment. A full refund will be provided.
3. Participant Cancellation Requests: All participant cancellation requests must be in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org Cancellations received up to ten (10) business days prior to the start of the first day of the scheduled program will receive a full refund. If cancellation is received nine (9) business days to the first day of scheduled program there will be a $50.00 processing fee assessed, and the balance paid will be refunded. There will be no refunds if cancellation happens on the day of the first day of the program, or thereafter.
Qualifications necessary to attend this program
Applicants must be 21 years of age or older, a Pennsylvania resident and meet one of the requirements listed below:
1. For a home serving eight or fewer residents:
- A general education development diploma or high school diploma and two years of direct care or administrative experience in the human services field
2. For a home serving nine or more residents:
- An associate degree or 60 credit hours from an accredited college or university
- A license as a registered nurse from the Pennsylvania Department of State
- A license as a licensed practical nurse from the Pennsylvania Department of State, and one year experience in a related field
- A license as a nursing home administrator from the Pennsylvania Department of State.
It is difficult to maintain room temperatures that are comfortable for all participants, and the room temperature may vary. A sweater or jacket is helpful if the room becomes too cool.