Individuals who are interested in becoming Personal Care Home Administrators in Pennsylvania can take the required 100 Hour program. According to statute PA 55 Section 2600.64 (a)(2) regarding administrator training and orientation: Prior to initial employment as an administrator a candidate shall successfully complete a 100 hour standardized (DHS) Department approved administrator training course.
Program Fee: This includes all training materials accessed online via Canvas and the final exam cost. Space will be limited, and registration will close once the class has reached capacity. Please review the cancellation policy and payment plan agreement in the NOTES section below.
Option 1: Pay in Full $1,550.00
Option 2: Payment Plan $1,650.00
- Down payment of $550.00 required at time of registration
- Second payment of $550.00 due 1 month after registration
- Third payment of $550.00 due 2 months after registration.
Application Required: Please note, you must apply for the program prior to completing the registration. Please click on "Apply Now" to complete the online application. Upon approval, we will direct you back to this page to register and pay for the course.
Did you know?: 96.4%* of participants who complete Temple Harrisburg’s Personal Care Home Administrator 100 Hour Course PASS the state exam!
*Based on the pass/fail rate of state exams taken by Temple Harrisburg 100 Hour Course participants from 2014-2019.
Personal Care Home Administrator 100 Hour Course Modules:
Nutrition, Food Handling, and Sanitation
Resident Rights and Resident Home Contracts
Budgeting, Financial Record-keeping, Resident Records
CPR and First Aid - with certification
Fire Prevention & Emergency Preparedness
Care of Residents with Mental Illness
Staff Supervision and Staff Person Training
Community Resources, Social Services, and Activities in the Community
Care for Residents with Developmental Disabilities
Writing, Completing and Implementing Initial Assessments and Support Plans
Personal Care/Personal Hygiene
Medication Procedures, Medication Effects, and Side Effects and Standard Precautions
Abuse and Neglect Prevention
Orientation Schedule (Mandatory and Offered by Department of Human Services):
This orientation is offered through DHS. It is a free, mandatory, 6-hour program that must be completed before, during, or after the 100 Hour Training and exam in order to become a Personal Care Home Administrator. Registration is required and fills up quickly. View the full orientation schedule by clicking on the link for the DHS website and scrolling down to "Training Information."
For more information on what a personal care home is in the state of PA, please visit the informational link here.
Payment Plan Agreement
- If utilizing the payment plan, registrants with payments 30 days past due will not be able to enter class. Upon payment in full, registrants will be able to resume attending class. Registrants with payments 90 days past due will be dropped from the class with no refunds and the payments will go to Temple University collections.
Cancellations and Refunds
- All cancellation requests must be made in writing via email to the Program Specialist supporting the program and received by the Temple University Harrisburg staff before becoming effective. Please note that if registrant does not officially withdraw from a course and does not attend the course, the registrant is still responsible for payment.
- Cancellations received ten (10) business days or more prior to the start of the scheduled course will be eligible for a full refund of fees paid.
- Cancellations received nine (9) business days to one (1) business day prior to the start of the scheduled course will be subject to a cancellation charge of $10.00 for one day/session courses and $50 for multiday courses. Cancellations received less than one (1) business day prior to the start of the scheduled course will not be eligible for a refund.
- TUH reserves the right to cancel continuing education events due to low enrollment.
- In the event of inclement weather (applies to in person classes only), Temple University Harrisburg will make every effort to cancel events with as much advance notice as possible. Notification will be sent via email/CE Systems once a decision to close or delay has been made. In all instances, TUH will follow the University’s cancellation decisions.
Request to Postpone Attendance
- All requests to be transferred into a future offering must be submitted in writing via email to the Program Specialist supporting the program and received by the Temple University Harrisburg staff before becoming effective. Please note that if registrant does not request a transfer into a future offering and does not attend as originally scheduled, the registrant is still responsible for payment.
- Transfer requests received ten (10) business days or more prior to the start of the scheduled course will be eligible for a one-time transfer at no cost. Additional transfer requests or requests less than 10 days prior to the start of the course will be subject to a $50.00 administrative fee.
Professional Licensure Disclosure
- This program has been designed to prepare participants to apply for applicable licensure or certification in Pennsylvania. Completion of this program may not meet the education requirements for a license or certification in another state. If you are planning to pursue professional licensure or certification in a state other than Pennsylvania, it is strongly recommended that you contact the appropriate licensing entity in that state to seek information and guidance regarding licensure or certification requirements before registering for this program.
Qualifications necessary to attend this program:
In accordance to §2600.53(a), an individual must have one of the following qualifications to be a personal care home administrator:
- A license as a Registered Nurse from the Department of State
- A license as a Practical Nurse from the Department of State and 1 year of work experience in a related field
- An Associates Degree or 60 credit hours from an accredited college or university
- A license as a Nursing Home Administrator from the Department of State
For a home serving 8 or fewer residents, a general education development (GED) diploma or high school diploma and 2 years direct care or administrative experience in the human services field
In accordance to 2600.53(b), an individual must be 21 years of age or older to be a personal care home administrator.