Course Description: Military counseling, not unlike other facets of clinical practice, must keep in mind the unique culture of individuals within the context of their environment and history. This course intends to provide students with the knowledge and skills that inform clinical practice with military service members.
Target Audience: Beginning Level
Continuing Education Clock Hours: 3 Hours
9:00-9:15am Welcome and Introductions
9:15-10:30am Powerpoint Presentation
Depression and Suicide
10:45-12:00pm Powerpoint Presentation
Autonomic Nervous System
Stress Reaction Pathway
12:00-12:15pm Questions, Evaluations, and Certificates
At the end of this workshop, participants will be able to do the following:
- Describe the risk for and presentation of PTSD, Depression, and TBI in military service members
- Explain barriers to treatment for military service members
- Depict the brain's stress reaction pathway.
When participants return to their workplaces, they will be able to do the following:
- Refer clients to resources that are knowledgeable about the issues military service members face.
- Pre-Approved Provider: Temple University School of Social Work Continuing Education Program is a pre-approved provider of continuing education courses and programs for social workers and clinical social workers in Pennsylvania.
- Continuing Education Certificates: At the conclusion of the course, paper certificates denoting continuing education clock hours will be provided to students who successfully complete the course. To successfully complete the course, students must attend the entire course (from start to finish), actively participate in the course, and submit a course evaluation form. Note: Certificates are printed 72 hours in advance of the scheduled course. The Continuing Education Office will mail paper certificates within 14 calendar days of the course to any students who register after the certificates are printed. Tuition for the course covers the cost of the paper certificate.
- Accommodations: To request special accommodations, please send an email to the Continuing Education program office (email@example.com) that includes a contact person, phone number, and specific accommodation requested. Please provide at least 14 calendar day's notice before the scheduled course.
- Cancellations/Refunds: Please notify the Continuing Education program office (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible if you need to cancel your registration. Registrants who provide more than 7 days' notice of cancellation receive 100% tuition refund. Registrants who provide more than 24 hours' but less than 7 days' notice of cancellation receive 50% tuition refund. Registrants who provide less than 24 hours' notice of cancellation receive 0% tuition refund.
- Questions/Grievances: For any questions or grievances, please send an email to the Continuing Education program office (email@example.com) that includes a contact person, phone number, and questions or description of grievances.