Before you start the application, please have your academic advisor's name and email address available. You will need to submit that information as part of this application. Your academic advisor is the person in your  school or college who assists you with registration questions and planning.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) can only be authorized for employment that is directly related to your major field of study and required for a class or a degree.

  • You must complete one academic year in valid non immigrant status before you are eligible for CPT.
  • You must have a job offer letter to apply for CPT. The job offer letter must include beginning and ending dates. If your job offer has a start date that has already passed, the CPT will not be authorized.
  • Full-time permanent job offers do not qualify for CPT.
  • CPT is employer-specific. 
  • INDEPENDENT STUDY: Students are allowed to arrange for independent studies with their academic departments. In many cases the independent study does not satisfy any academic core or elective requirements. This type of independent study does not “count” for CPT.

HOWEVER, if the independent study will satisfy an elective requirement, it could be considered.

  • If you submit a complete application that clearly demonstrates the employment is being used to fulfil an academic requirement, the employment will be authorized within 5 business days. The authorization will be done when the ISSS advisor issues a new I-20.

Do not begin working or attend any orientations, training, etc. related to the employment without authorization from our office or USCIS; to do so would be a serious violation of your F-1 status.