Exchange Visitor (J-1) status is not appropriate for individuals who will:

  • Engage in any position that does not require the minimum of a Bachelor’s degree;
  • Hold tenure-track or tenured faculty appointments;
  • Enter the US to participate in a medical residency program or engage in clinical activities (visit for more info);
  • Pursue US Permanent Residency (Green Card).

FCCC  has been authorized to use the following categories of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program

  • Research Scholar (3-week minimum, 5-year maximum with a 24-month bar on repeat participation - conducting research, observing, or consulting)
  • Short-term Scholar (no minimum, 6-month maximum, NO EXTENSIONS - 6-month bar on repeat participation - lecturing, conducting research, observing, or consulting)

For more information, visit Limitations on J Status, Research v. Short Term ScholarTwo Year Home Residence Requirement, and Out Of Country Event.

The DS-2019 will be issued after International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) receives a complete application. ISSS will email you a pdf of the form DS-2019,

Should you have any questions about the J-1 immigration process, please email Sarah Froberg at