Play Therapy Special Populations
This course provides theoretical and applied skills for the treatment of special populations, including children who have been neglected, physically or sexually abused or otherwise traumatized, as well as children who are trying to cope with parental loss as a result of divorce, death or abandonment. Play Therapy with children who have special physical or developmental needs will also be explored, including children with medical problems, chronic or terminal illness, and/or challenging psychopathology such as autism. The content will contain materials to develop practice skills at the level required for eventual registration as a play therapist.
Post Graduate Certificate in Play Therapy Program Details
- Application submission and acceptance required prior to registering for any course
- 5 Courses are offered in the complete certificate program (see titles under Notes)
- Classes are from 9:00 am - 3:00 pm, with a one hour break for lunch
This course will meet 7 times, on selected Saturdays in the Spring 2019 semester.
- January 26, 2019
- February 9, 2019
- February 23, 2019
- March 16, 2019
- March 30, 2019
- April 13, 2019
- April 27, 2019
At the completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand the issues underlying children’s reaction to various situational problems, including parental loss, trauma, abuse and neglect, depression, anxiety, disruptive behavior disorders, and physical illness
- Select, review and critique professional literature to determine best practice approaches with evidence-based play therapy assessment and treatment
- Examine the use of play therapy for specific presenting problems and/or disorders
- Identify a developmentally appropriate theoretical approach for the child’s presenting problem
- Understand issues of diversity and how they impact on the selection of a theoretical approach
- Identify and use relevant NASW Code of Ethics principles and considerations in working with children
- Understand the minimal training/supervision and voluntary practice guidelines promulgated by the Association of Play Therapy
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
All cancellation requests must be in writing via email to Pamela Vierra at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cancellation of one individual course: cancellations received up to ten (10) business days prior to the start of the scheduled session will receive a full refund. If cancellation is received nine (9) business days to the first day prior to the start of the session there will be a $10.00 processing fee assessed, and the balance paid will be refunded. There will be no refunds if cancellation is the first day of the session or once the session has started.
- Cancellation of the entire certificate program: cancellations received up to ten (10) business days prior to the start of the scheduled session will receive a full refund. If cancellation is received nine (9) business days to the first day prior to the start of the session there will be a $50.00 processing fee assessed, and the balance paid will be refunded.
Each course within the Play Therapy program has been approved for 63 Play Therapy continuing education hours. Temple University Harrisburg is an APT Approved Provider #07-206. These credit hours satisfy the requirements for RPT/ RPTS credential and/or credential renewal. Play Therapy credit may not be awarded to non-mental health professionals.
Temple University Harrisburg is an Association for Play Therapy (APT) (Approved Provider #07-206). Each course within the Post-Graduate Certificate in Play Therapy program has been approved for 35 continuing education hours (CE's) through Temple University Harrisburg, a Pennsylvania State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors pre-approved provider of continuing education. These credit hours satisfy the requirements for LSW/LCSW/LMFT/LPC biennial license renewal. Temple University Harrisburg is also a pre-approved provider of continuing education by the PA State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists, and Professional Counselors.
Certificates of attendance documenting continuing education hours will be issued by Temple University Harrisburg.
Complete List of Courses in Post Graduate Certificate in Play Therapy:
- HBGPLTH0001 - Introduction to Play Therapy
- HBGPLTH0002 - Play Therapy Techniques
- HGBPLTH0003 - Play Therapy Special Populations
- HBGPLTH0004 - Advanced Play Therapy Practice
- HBGPLTH0005 - Advanced Play Therapy Seminar
This course is available to students who have been accepted into the certificate program via application process for Introduction to Play Therapy
Minimum requirement: Bachelors Degree, and related career experience; or Masters degree in a related field.
Application submission required for acceptance into the Certificate Program
Requirements for application submission
- Personal information completed in profile questions
- List of Universities attended
- List of degrees earned
- Copy of Transcript
- Personal Statement
*When registering, please make sure that your e-mail address, daytime phone, and evening phone are correct in your noncredit.temple.edu profile.
If you have questions about the application, please contact: Danielle N. Martin, M.Ed., Academic Success Coordinator, by emailing email@example.com