The online Transgender Continuing Education Series is designed for mental health professionals who want to work more effectively with individuals who identify as LGBTQ+. The series consists of four trainings that build on each other offered online and led by an instructor via Zoom Meetings.
*Participation will be required for each class. There will be interactive application modules that require everyone to actively participate in.
2021 Cohorts: (4-Course Series)
- Spring 2021 - This series has completed, and went great!
- Summer 2021 - Thursdays, May 20, June 03, 10, 24, 2021 - Sold Out!
- Fall 2021 - Fridays, September 17, October 01, 15, 29, 2021 - Registration Now Open!
Interested in future offering of this series that is not listed or open for enrollment? Please complete our course inquiry form here so we can reach out to you.
Transgender 101 - Parts 1 & 2 (courses 1 & 2 of the series)
This online two-part training is designed for the beginner or novice mental health professional and will provide a foundation for working effectively with individuals who identify as LGBTQ+. Terminology and inclusive practices will be emphasized.
- Course 1: Trans 101: Part 1
- Course 2: Trans 101: Part 2
Trans Intermediate Parts 1 & 2 (courses 3 & 4 of the series)
This online two-part intermediate level training is designed for mental health providers who have a foundational knowledge of transgender identities, topics, inclusion practices and intersectionality. Participants will delve further into these concepts and uncover nuance around evolving best practice language and develop skills for creating inclusive spaces and approaches to care.
- Course 3: Trans Intermediate: Part 1
- Course 4: Trans Intermediate: Part 2
At the end of the training participants will be able to:
Trans 101: Part 1
- Recognize accurate and respectful language when serving clients with LGBTQ+ identities
- Differentiate between transgender and non-binary identities and terminology
- Identify gendered practices and implement gender neutral substitutes
- Identify best-practices for recording and using correct names and pronouns for clients
Trans 101: Part 2
- Describe common daily challenges for transgender and non-binary clients
- Practice and demonstrate ability to identify and disrupt microaggressions
- Recognize/list the “CPR” steps of apologizing and repairing harm
- Identify additional community and virtual resources for transgender and non-binary clients
Trans Intermediate: Part 1
- Differentiate between individual, organizational and systemic oppressions that transgender people face
- Describe how individuals can be affected by multiple layers of oppression simultaneously
- Explain cisgender privilege and the impact of cisheteronormativity
Trans Intermediate: Part 2
- Explain the barriers in accessing MH care for people who are LGBTQ+
- Identify personal strengths and clinical skill level to apply transgender affirming approaches
- Identify gaps in organizational and/or personal transgender inclusivity and the actionable steps to take for greater inclusivity.
- Apply best practices as well as accurate and respectful language when serving clients with LGBTQ+ identities
Technology and Training Day Requirements
- Zoom Meeting Connection with a camera and microphone
- Audio and video ARE required for live trainings on the Zoom platform. Cameras must be turned on for the duration of the training.
- Participation is required for this live-virtual series. Non-participation may result in not being eligible for credit for attending or Social Work continuing education
Social Work Continuing Education
This training series has been approved for 12 continuing education hours, or 3 continuing education hours for each course, through co-sponsorship of Temple University Harrisburg, a PA State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists, and Professional Counselor pre-approved provider of continuing education. These credit hours satisfy requirements for LSW/LCSW/LMFT/LPC biennial license renewal. Certificates of attendance documenting continuing education hours will be issued by Temple University Harrisburg
- Available and optional at check out
- This item must be selected at checkout by clicking the box for Social Work CE
- The Social Work CE fee is included in course fee
To obtain CE Credit, please complete the following items:
- Select Social Work CE at check out
- Attend the entire course(s) AND participate in each of the four training sessions (includes being on camera and interacting with the instructor an other participants).
- Complete the online request form
- Complete the Course Evaluation after attending (first and last name will need included on evaluation)
Cancellations and Refunds
All cancellation requests must be made in writing via email to Pamela Vierra at firstname.lastname@example.org and received by the Temple University Harrisburg staff before becoming effective. Please note that if registrant does not officially withdraw from a course and does not attend the course, the registrant is still responsible for payment.
Cancellations received ten (10) business days or more prior to the start of the scheduled course will be eligible for a full refund of fees paid.
Cancellations received nine (9) business days to one (1) business day prior to the start of the scheduled course will be subject to a cancellation charge of $50 for multiday courses. Cancellations received less than one (1) business day prior to the start of the scheduled course will not be eligible for a refund.
Courses must be taken in this order:
- Trans 101: Part 1
- Trans 101: Part 2
- Trans Intermediate: Part 1
- Trans Intermediate: Part 2
*Note: Trans 101 (parts 1 & 2) must be competed prior to taking Trans Intermediate