PASCEP0216 - Paranormal: Real or not Real?
This course examines the science of Psychology and the Paranormal. Can most or all paranormal phenomena be debunked? Are ghost and haunted houses real? Can a fortune teller predict your future? These are some questions that will be addressed. Did you know up to 80% of the population believes in one of more aspects of the paranormal. Some paranormal topics addressed are: ESP, sleep paralysis, UFO’s, psychics, ghost/spirits, haunted houses, near death experiences (NDE) and more.
The aims of the course are to enable students to:
- Define paranormal phenomena
- Understand the dynamics of scientific assessment as it relates to the paranormal
- Explain various scientific methods used to debunk and/or support paranormal activity
- Identify difference between evidence-based and empirical-based evidence
- Identify various categories of paranormal phenomena
- Understand the impact horror movies have on mental health and belief systems
- Have greater understanding of why cultural paranormal beliefs exist
This is a lecture-discussion course which topics and material will be presented by instructor.
Various paranormal aspects will be discussed weekly. Topics highlighted each session:
- Session 1. Introduction of the Paranormal, Ghost, Spirits, Haunted Houses, Orbs,
- Session 2. Paranormal Investigators are they real or is it Hollywood entertainment? Psychics, Mediums, ESP, NDE, Sleep Paralysis
- Session 3. Horror Movies, UFOs, Unknown Creatures
- Session 4. Superstition, Folklore and Legend
- Session 5. Can a person really cast a spell on another? Astro-Projection, Human Aura
Educational Tools & Materials:
Supplied by Instructor