As U.S. service members return to their communities, they face many issues following deployment: the effects of trauma, Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), family relationship strain, substance use, mental health issues, and readjustment difficulties. Practice with the military, not unlike other facets of specialized practice, must keep in mind the unique culture of the individual within the context of their unique environment and history.
This certificate is appropriate for professional helpers, such as social workers, counselors, pastoral counselors, psychologists, and psychiatrists, who are interested in developing a practice specialization with military populations within Department of Defense (DOD), Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) settings and/or within the larger community. Participants will attain the knowledge and skills necessary to practice in settings including all armed forces or branches of DOD, and with Veterans of all eras and their families in VA and non VA settings.
- Increase competence in meeting the public health challenge of returning service members
- Become equipped with the knowledge and skills necessary to work with military service members, veterans and their families
Ten Online Modules (2 hours each):
- Introduction to Working with Military Service Members and Veterans
- Emotional Residuals of Military Experience
- Empirical Treatment Approaches with Veterans, Part I
- Empirical Treatment Approaches with Veterans, Part 2
- Alternative Treatment Approaches with Veterans
- Issues Unique to Women Veterans
- Issues Unique to Disabled Veterans
- Issues of Children of Veterans
- Working with Veteran Families and Couples
- Ethical Challenges of Working with Veterans
Optional Social Work Continuing Education Credit:
If you are interested in receiving Social Work Continuing Education credits for any (or all) of the modules, select the "TUH CE's" Option at checkout. There is no additional fee for the CE credit; however the items below must be completed.
- Complete the Request Form at this link: Click Here
- After each module, complete the evaluation form at this link: Click Here (First and Last Name will be required)
Each module has been approved for 2 social work continuing education hours. Successfully completing the entire certificate program (all 10 modules) is approved for 20 social work continuing education hours, three of which fulfills the ethics requirement by the state licensing board) through co-sponsorship of Temple University Harrisburg, a Pennsylvania State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors pre-approved provider of continuing education. These credit hours satisfy requirements for LSW/LCSW/LMFT/LPC biennial license renewal. Certificates of attendance documenting continuing education hours will be issued by Temple University Harrisburg.
Cancellation Policy for Self-Paced and Web-Based Training Courses:
You may not cancel once you have registered and paid for the certificate bundle or modules through the Destiny One registration platform. There are no refunds for self-paced courses. For more information, please refer to the FAQ below.
More Questions? Please click on the link below for the FAQ.